These log cabins in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are considered to be an upscale alternative to hotels and motels. When people visit the Smoky Mountains they want to experience all that our area has to offer. Hopefully you read my previous article on “Decisions to make before buying an investment log cabin in the Smokies“. No matter how good of a deal you got on an older outdated cabin, nobody wants to walk in an see your shag carpet and 20″ tube television. Ideally, your search for a cabin included having the most updated appliances, technology, and furnishings to offer your renter. Sometimes that is not a possibility when searching for the best deals in the way of short sales and log cabin foreclosures. There are often times when foreclosures will be stripped of all appliances and furnishings. Hopefully you acquired this unit at a low enough price that you can purchase these items and still be at or close to market value.
Some of the main selling points for renters are:
- Views – Not much you can do here. You either have them or you don’t. There are some renters that would rather have some seclusion than a view so keep that in mind when buying.
- Appliances – You need to keep the appliances current. You don’t need to run out and buy the latest and greatest Sub-Zero fridge. Newer, clean appliances will suffice.
- Televisions – I won’t say that it is a must to have flat screen televisions in your cabin, but it is pretty close. Renters are looking for upscale, modern, luxury, nestled in the woods. They want the best of both worlds.
- Jacuzzi Tub/Hot Tub – Most units will have the jacuzzi tubs in them. If not, it is a good idea to add one. Especially if your unit is on the smaller side. Honeymooners getaway so to speak. As far as the hot tub goes. If you have a deck, add a hot tub. It is a selling point.
- Internet/wifi – This can be a difficult item to furnish depending on where your rental cabin is located and what services are available in the area. Even though renters are wanting to experience a getaway in the Smoky Mountains they typically still want their amenities. Disconnecting is very hard for some and welcomed for others. Provide it if you can and if they want to use it they will.
- Appearance – Make sure that your cabin is clean. Inside and out. If your unit is a true log cabin make sure that it has a good recent stain on it. Pictures of a faded, splintered cabin will not do you any good.
- Recreation Toys – Pool tables, Air Hockey, Foosball, arcade game consoles, etc. These things are great for entertaining and the family that may be vacationing with other parties will look to see what your rental cabin has to offer when lounging around and socializing.
- Theater Room – We are starting to get into some items that are going to be found in most of the higher end, larger rental cabins. A theater room is an extravagant feature that attracts the movie buffs and larger families. Multiple families vacationing together in the same unit will often look to features like this.
- Indoor Swimming Pool – Extreme exclusivity. There are a number or the larger more luxurious units that will have an indoor swimming pool. These pools are generally on the smaller side but it is still your own private pool.
There you have it. At this point you should have already decided on how you will be handling your bookings and what company, if you went that route, you will be using. You should have a clear idea of what kind of unit you are looking for, what the best locations or area is, and what amenities are a “must have” and a “want to have”.
If you still have any questions or want to know how to proceed then you need to talk with a Log Cabin Investment Specialist, me.